Glenrothes distillery has just announced its new collection of age-stated whiskies. The Soleo Collection consists of six Sherried single malts, five of which have an age statement. Therefore, the collection includes a 10-year-old, a 12-year-old, an 18-year-old, a 25-year-old, and a single non-age-statement whisky to front the collection.
Glenrothes’ departure from vintages is quite shocking, considering that the distillery has been known for using vintages since the 1990s. However, Glenrothes hopes that this new move will put them in good stead with premium whisky drinkers, who Glenrothes believes use age-statements to signify the quality of a whisky, and regard it as an important factor in choosing which whisky to drink.
The new collection will be presented in the same iconic Glenrothes bottles. However, these bottles now feature a flavour map as a means for whisky drinks to navigate the collection.
The whiskies in the collection are as follows:
- Glenrothes Soleo Collection 10 Year Old (£37), a 40% abv malt matured in Sherry-seasoned oak casks. Notes of vanilla, shortbread, and citrus.
- Glenrothes Soleo Collection 12 Year Old (£42), also bottled at 40% abv and matured in Sherry-seasoned casks. Notes of melon and cinnamon.
- Glenrothes Soleo Collection Whisky Maker’s Cut (£55), a no-age-statement expression matured in first-fill Sherry-seasoned casks and bottled at 48.8% abv.
- Glenrothes Soleo Collection 18 Year Old (£100), bottled at 43% abv and created using a high proportion of whisky matured in first-fill Sherry-seasoned casks.
- Glenrothes Soleo Collection 25 Year Old (£375), also matured in first-fill Sherry-seasoned casks and bottled at 43% abv. Notes of mango, coriander, and salted caramel.
If you would like to try the Soleo Collection for yourself, you can buy each individually priced bottle on the Glenrothes website.